Employers must set up a protocol for dealing with employees showing typical COVID-19 symptoms.
The following guidelines and steps are mandatory to follow if an employee shows typical COVID-19 symptoms:
- Establish policies to ensure employees with COVID-19 symptoms stay at home and seek medical assistance, if needed.
- If at the workplace, ensure employees who have reported COVID-19 symptoms are told to stop work at once and go home.
- Help employees arrange private transportation instead of public transportation where they could infect others.
- Ensure medical assistance for employees is arranged, if needed.
- If unable to travel home, ensure the employee is isolated in a room at the workplace or nearby as medical assistance is arranged.
- Ensure the employee will be provided with a face mask which should be kept on until the employee is safely home.
- The employees’ work area must be disinfected.
- You should regularly monitor the employee’s situation through mobile calls or other remote communication.
- Ensure that the employee is cleared by a medical professional prior to returning to work.